Thursday 21 August 2008

Wednesday, 20th August 2008

0744



IW: Unpacking books I haven't seen in 3 years.

I have to see books around me, and I feel better for it. I feel better now that the garage - one large storage dump for the last 3 years, filled when we arrived here from Brussels - is finally cleared out.

My 'newsfast', however, took a hit.

Moving an unwrapped copy of the IHT from the kitchen table, I glimpsed a headline through the plastic wrapper: Taliban attacks fiercest since 200X (I couldn't see the year).

Unable to resist, I opened the wrapper and laid out the top half of the newspaper on the kitchen windowsill, sunlight shading the black and white, the view of the mountains behind. Taking care not to cast my eye on other articles, I took photos of the story and read it later on my camera.

But I couldn't avoid the picture of a Russian tank on the front page, above the fold, next to the Taliban story: blindfolded Georgian soldiers sat on the top-front of the armour, hands tied behind them, at the point of a gun . The soldier who held the gun, he looked so young.

I took care not to read any more.















































































ALL PHOTOGRAPHS COPYRIGHT IAN WALTHEW 2008

No comments: